1. The public display of original art at the Duxbury Free Library is an important, desirable goal.
Recognizing the longstanding relationship between the Helen Bumpus Gallery Board of Directors and the Library, all reasonable effort will be made to achieve this goal.
2. Determining the artistic merit and scope of Bumpus Gallery Board-sponsored shows shall be the sole right and responsibility of members of the Bumpus Gallery Board.
While the Library will not interfere with content, neither will it be represented as a sponsor.
3. The Bumpus Gallery Board shall have exclusive use of the Main Floor Gallery for the term of one year beginning July 1, providing the terms of this agreement have been satisfied. This term may be extended with the approval of the Board of Library Trustees and the Library Director.
4. If desired, the Bumpus Gallery Board may also arrange for displays in the Lower Level Lobby, the Merry Room, the Setter Room or other available display areas, in accordance with accepted use policies adopted by the Board of Trustees and at the discretion of the Library Director.
5. The artists and/or the Bumpus Gallery Board must sign a waiver accepting full responsibility for the safety of all items in the exhibit. The Town of Duxbury, The Duxbury Free Library, its Board of Trustees, its Library Director, its staff and volunteers assume no responsibility for the loss, theft or damage of any property connected with any show.
6. Shows must be scheduled in advance with the Library Director within a time frame that is acceptable to the Library Director.
7. Opening receptions connected with the Bumpus Gallery Board shows must be scheduled in advance with the Library Director within a time frame that is acceptable to the Library Director.
Reception arrangements must be consistent with policies governing public use of the lower level community rooms.
8. Use of the library’s display spaces, including utilities and general maintenance, shall be free.
Specific costs, materials and labor associated with mounting individual shows, as well as restoring the display areas to their original condition, shall be the responsibility of the Bumpus Gallery Board. If a show incurs extraordinary costs, these will be the responsibility of the Bumpus Gallery Board.
9. “Show hangings” must be scheduled in advance with the Library Director and take place within normal library operating hours.
10. No show shall preclude use of the library’s regular activities or programs.
11. It is understood that while the Main Floor Gallery and Lower Level Lobby are currently designated to accommodate artistic display, this may change as circumstances change, and as determined by the Library Director and the Trustees after careful consideration and due notice.
12. This agreement may be nullified by either the Bumpus Gallery Board or the Library Trustees with three months’ advance notification if necessary.
This policy will be reviewed annually by the Board of Library Trustees and ratified or amended at that time.